Friday, November 23, 2012

Random Observations

I've now lived on both coasts. Sunsets last a long time on the Pacific, and sunrises do on the Atlantic. It seems like there's light in the sky very early, and it takes a while to totally light up.

I don't know if there's any scientific accuracy to this; it's just a sense. Time will tell. One thing I don't love so much is that the darkness comes early, and it's damned dark here at night. I also tend to think that this is a factor of being on the Atlantic, where there's just intense darkness to the east. By 4:30 p.m., most of the sunlight is gone. By 5:30 p.m., it's nighttime. Do.Not.Love.

***

They love their coffee and donuts here. For every Starbucks, there's three Dunkin' Donuts. I've passed more than one place where there were separate "Dunk's" directly across the street from one another. I guess that works... you don't have to cross traffic.

***

The tap water here is much better than one would think. I figured it'd be pretty tough to match Arkansas' water. But the water here is good. Much better than Texas or California.

***

However, the low-flow toilet is weird. I still don't know how to actually flush correctly. Apparently these are water-efficient, so I am for that, but they don't seem water-efficient if I have to flush more than   once. TMI?

***

I have a job interview Tuesday. A really good job, albeit part-time. Wish me luck.

***

We've been deliberating banks and have made a choice. We'd prefer a community bank but in a city this large, you need to have more options. So we're going with a larger entity. But not the douche banks like B of A, Citi, Chase.

***

Thanksgiving was different. It was just us. M made a nice dinner of turkey breast we got from Carmine at Star Market, some fresh green beans, mashed potatoes and dumplings. We bought a couple of small pies to seal the deal. It was nice.

And interesting to think that the holiday started here. Once again the amazing history of this place interjects.

***

We're eating better. Part of that is that finding crap food here is not as easy... they're not on every street corner. That's a positive. And because things are more expensive here, I'm being a lot more conscientious about our food budget. Until I land a job, this is a smart play. And I want to think that once I do get a job, we won't backslide.

No comments:

Post a Comment