Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dogpiled

How long does it take to adjust to a major move to a radically different environment?

I don't think I'm there yet. It's a little frustrating to have no sense of when I'll feel fully acclimated.

I was working 36 hours a week of mostly 12-hour overnight shifts, sometimes six nights in a row. That messed up my body clock a bit. Then there was the prep for the move, which is unsettling (literally!) because you're living amongst boxes. The move itself (detailed previously herehere and here) was an energy-sucking muh. Then there was the unpacking, coupled with a time change (and another with the shift from Daylight Savings Time). Then there was the fact that I've never lived this far north or east, and the climate here is a little different.

The dogs also seem to feel it a little... they wake up around 6 a.m. every day. So that means *I* wake up around 6 a.m. every day. Since I'm the jobless one right now, I try and not shirk and let M sleep in a little. So once it gets past 10 p.m. I start to fade.

It kinda pisses me off. I don't want to be bailing so early. But I've been listening and just calling it a day when the body says it's time.

But I don't like it. If I had my druthers I'd be staying up til at least midnight or 1 a.m. I will get there eventually but right now I'm just still struggling to get settled.

Which brings up an unusual detail.

In some of the areas around here are road signs that say "Thickly Settled." I've never seen anything like them anywhere. I learned that they define neighborhoods where homes average less than 200 feet apart for more than a quarter of a mile. But what they really mean is, "Speed Limit 30."

I didn't know this before this morning. I know it now. It's hard to drive more than 30 on these crazy-ass streets, but I will surely not be tempted if the opportunity presents itself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment