Wednesday, April 3, 2013

If You Don't Get It, You Don't Get It

Or, "Clueless" if you're into the whole brevity thing.

Like the spring weeds popping up, I'm seeing some remarkable displays of unchecked advance.

Without getting into too many details, I guess I'll have to put things delicately.

Whatever the nature of our relationship, I'm no longer going to carry the note. If you want to have a friendship or a relationship with me, then do the right thing. I've had some people in my lives who meant a lot to me, then we had a rift. Shit happens. Repair is possible, but time doesn't heal all wounds.

Own up to your responsibility. I've had to issue more than a few mea culpas. It only hurts a little while. If you value whatever that relationship was, even if you don't want to fix it, it's OK to make an effort.

I had a dear family member who got a bug up his ass and just decided to cut me out of his life. It still bothers me, but I realized a while ago it wasn't ever going to change, because this person couldn't accept his responsibility. So we don't have a relationship and I doubt we ever will. A few months ago I tried to reach out. No response. It's over. I tried; he didn't. Move along.

Similarly, a once good friend just today made an overture to re-establish the friendship. But the overture didn't include an apology or any acceptance of their responsibility in the damage.

Sometimes you have to have your hat in your hand. If you don't know that, you haven't learned.

I had another friend who I had a huge falling out with and we didn't talk for a long time. I thought that was dead too. But we fixed it. And even though we don't talk much, I still think we're friends.

I need to come back to this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment