Thursday, May 30, 2013

8/24

Last night I felt that yesterday's post might be my last for a while.

I was frustrated, and wracked with uncertainty.

What a difference a day can make.

Today was far and away his best day. There were still some issues, but... I was so proud of him today.

He arrived close to on-time, at 9:05. He had some hash browns from Dunkin Donuts and some Gatorade. That was all the food he brought for the day.

His resistance to the assignments was softer, and in every case he wound up at least attempting to do them, and a couple of times even wound up completing them. He wrote his name unprompted on the first one, and did the work without distraction. AND, he got them all correct. This wasn't nuclear physics, but the assignment was the same for everyone in the class, and he did everything right.

M brought me a nice lunch and then I walked her down to peek into the classroom. I think she was delighted by the experience. My charge was not participating in the class work going on at that time, however.

I went in and asked him what was happening, and he said he didn't want to do the work. I encouraged him and said I would help. He didn't want to, but I said "Can we at least try, and if we don't like it we will quit."

So he decided to try. And he did as well as could be expected. At least he put forth the effort, and that's a huge step in the right direction.

After that it was pretty smooth sailing. A huge, huge win and the kind of mental payoff I needed. Can't wait to get back tomorrow. Because you know, MORNING DANCE PARTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment